BCD Barcelona Design Centre promotes design as a strategic element for business excellence and as a key factor for innovation, and as a discipline that can improve people's quality of life.
Legally established as a private not-for-profit foundation in 1973, BCD is a promotion and information centre devoted to all aspects of design in business. The first promotion centre of its kind to be set up in Spain, BCD has evolved in line with changes in the economy and society from the first, constantly adapting its philosophy and activities to the specific needs of the moment.
BCD currently develops projects and activities in the following areas: Design Policy, Business Growth and Creative Entrepreneurship, and Promotion and Internationalization.
BCD defends design as a development factor and driving force of innovation focused on the user, and promotes its role in the creation of economic and social value:
- Design to innovate. Design provides companies with value, making them more competitive and creating employment.
- Design in the public sector. The administration sets an example, using design to shape its services, improving them and increasing the user satisfaction. Good design improves the quality of life of people.
- Design as an economic sector. Design service companies and design professionals make up an economic sector recognized in the CNAE with code 74.10.
- Design and society. For an advanced, sustainable society with a design culture, which confronts the new challenges of our society.
Barcelona and Catalonia as a pole of excellence in design, with a sustainable and economically sound model, which favours the competitiveness of its companies and organizations, the exporting of its products and services, and the welfare of its citizens.
To promote the strategic value of design in the business and institutional sphere and make Catalonia and the Barcelona brand a worldwide benchmark in design and innovation, favouring internationalization and the attracting of talent and investment.
BCD’s objectives are:
- Increase the use of design in the innovation processes of companies and public bodies.
- Provide services for companies and organisations through specific projects
- Promote the Barcelona Design brand for the consolidation and global expansion of Barcelona as an international pole of excellence in design.
- Promotion and internationalization of the products and services made in Barcelona
- Promotion of creative entrepreneurship.
- Become a reference and interlocutor in the field of design for the public administration, companies, institutions and similar organisations
- Cooperate with different stakeholders in the field of business and design, both nationally and internationally
BCD takes into acount different target groups such as companies, professionals, the public administration, the academic world, and other both national and international groups.
BCD is a member of the following organisations:
- BEDA, The Bureau of European Design Associations
- Design for All Foundation
- DMI, Design Management Institute
- FEEPD, Federación Española de Entidades de Promoción del Diseño
- ICSID, International Council of Societies of Industrial Design